Where Valentine’s Day once struck fear in the hearts of single ladies everywhere, we’ve now decided to flip the script and make Valentine’s Day about us. Greeting card and candy companies can have a seat, this isn’t a list about catering to the typical Valentine’s Day shtick.
Instead of throwing a single ladies’ party celebrating our independence (we don’t need that kind of validation) or a rom com movie marathon (more subliminal messages of lack), why not celebrate Valentine’s Day in a way that truly honors the best lover in the world, yourself.
Of course, treating yourself with love and care isn’t reserved exclusively for VDay. But why not use the day to be your own Valentine and celebrate the love you have for yourself. You don’t even have to buy yourself a silly card or chocolates. Score.
1. Take yourself out to dinner. Restaurants always have VDay specials, so why not take advantage to dine at a place you’ve been wanting to try
2. Make a shrine to your secret celebrity crush. Andre 3000 I heart you!
3. Take a long walk to pontificate on your dreams, goals and passions. Breathe the love in the air!
4. Have a tv-style bubble bath. Candles, music, full face makeup. Get glam and soak away.
5. Blast girl-group anthems all day. I mean really belt them out!
6. Delight in a decadently delicious crepe, macaroon or canoli. Pick your poison
7. Get your workout on. Honor thy temple and feel good about your body by seeing what it can do
8. Go see that indie flick you’ve been dying to see. Buy some Gobstoppers while you’re at it
9. Start a new book from your ever-expanding library
10. Pony up to the bar and discover a new signature cocktail or wine
11. Make February 14 “National Werk it Day”! Put your nose to the grindstone and get stuff done!
12. Call your best friend, mother, sister just to say “I love you”
13. Love yourself… literally. Dedicate an entire evening to it
14. Meditate. Be still and appreciate all the things there are to love about you
Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to make you a martyr and being single on VDay is far from the end of the world. Take the day to do something particularly special for your mind, body and spirit. And when Cupid has shot his last bow & arrow remember that your self-love fest doesn’t end on February 14th.
What will you do for yourself this Valentine’s Day?