Let the battle of the sexes, hmmm… continue. It’s clear from popular culture that men and women are still from different planets and no book or marketing ploy will really eradicate that. But Think Like a Man (the book & movie) tries. If nothing else we can give Steve Harvey props for creating a cult book and a cute movie that manages to be funny, sexy and show the nuances (no matter how stereotypical) between men and women.
For all intents and purposes, Think Like a Man was a good movie. Comedian Kevin Hart was hilarious as the movie’s narrator and a cameo from Wendy Williams was a pleasant surprise. How she doin’! The storylines of each couple were endearing; my particular favorite pairing was Meagan Goode and Romany Malco. It was the kind of movie that made you root for each couple to find love in the end.
While the movie was a successful romantic comedy, some of the tenets and ideas presented left me with lots of thoughts….and none of them men-like. Just to be clear, I have never read the “Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man” book. See #42. It seemed like one of those common-sense ass books that are marketed to women and make us believe something is seriously wrong with us for being single…. see also “He’s Not that Into You”. Like really!
My personal feelings aside, here are some things I took away from the movie.
1. Think Like an Intelligent Woman with Common-Sense; Not A Man
All of the female characters were looking for fulfilling, loving relationships and what they’d been doing wasn’t working. Any smart woman knows that if what you’re doing isn’t getting you what you want, then you should try something else. If sleeping with men on the first date, isn’t getting you a relationship then stop sleeping with men on the first date. This doesn’t seem like man think as much as it is common-sense.
2. If you have to manipulate a man; do you really want him?
This question was running through my head the entire film. Not sure if I have an answer. What do you think?
3. 90 Days is not an absolute
Waiting to have sex is a worthwhile endeavor, as sex can cloud judgement and relationships. But who says the wait has to be precisely 90 days? I say, ladies, you know when you are ready. Whether it’s 3 dates or 3 months, listen to your own body and feelings and proceed. Just as having sex in 3 dates won’t guarantee a booty call status, withholding sex for 90 days won’t guarantee a relationship
4. Ladies need to have standards. Why thank you Steve Harvey for telling me something I didn’t know. #sideeye
5. No book, movie, holy grail or ancient tome can tell you exactly how to proceed in a relationship. Your intuition, desires and wants will do that for you
6. Does anyone else think Romany Malco is cute in an adult baby kind of way. I don’t know. Don’t judge me
7. What you tolerate is what you will get
People (men and women) will only do what you allow. If you’re not feeling your guy’s actions, let him know and draw the line at disrespect
8. Being a successful and powerful woman will NOT intimidate the RIGHT guy
9. Men want to be loved and have great relationships as much as women. Love is Universal!
Did you see Think Like a Man? What did you think of the movie?