If you watch enough romantic comedies or read enough Cosmo, you’ll be led to believe that women are either:
A) Unlovable Lepers
B) Whiny, needy and pathetic
C) Waiting on a man to save them
Well you know what I say to that; BULLOCKS! For every love starved fictional female character, there is a kick ass woman who understands that love is great but it doesn’t make or break her.
Contrary to Lifetime movies, dating can actually be approached from a place of intelligence and fun and doesn’t have to be a mad dash to the altar. However the “rules” of the dating game so often leave us gals on the sideline waiting for the ever elusive “one”. So where are all dating “rules” for women who’d rather harness their own power than wait for a relationship to give it to them?
Here are 50 dating rules for smart girls who could care less about dating rules!
1. Trust your instincts & always follow your heart
2. “Marriage is a great institution, but I’m not ready for an institution .” ~Mae West
3. If he’s not dating you, he’s not sleeping with you…. (see #4)
4. Unless of course you want to sleep with him.. then do you boo!
5. Being single is not the end of the world: it’s the most liberating time when you can do what you want, answer to no one and fall in love with yourself!
6. Sometimes sex is just sex; break it to him gently
7. We’re independent, pay our own bills, change our tires and still want to be held; vulnerability makes you strong
8. Liking a guy is no excuse to act bat shit crazy… be cool gal!
9. Liquor & true emotion don’t mix… trust me on this one
10. Dating is meant to be fun; not a spectator sport
11. Love is only as complicated as we make it
12. Everything you need to know about him, will reveal itself
13. Girls just wanna have fun is more than a song; it’s a way of life
14. Your Prince Charming does exist; but you don’t have to be Sleeping Beauty waiting for him to rescue you
15. Respect is the minimum, disrespect is where to draw the line
16. Femininity is our gift; use it wisely
17. Sex and the City is a work of fiction, not a guide for life (learned this the hard way)
18. Don’t play hard to get, Be hard to get
19. Waiting for him to make the first move? Ask him out
20. A breakup does not equal breakdown. Can I get an AMEN?!
21. Avoid two things in life: cheap shoes and cheap men
22. Playing small doesn’t pay: Let. Your. Light. Shine. Girl!
23. Match.com doesn’t make you pathetic but sitting home waiting for the one will make you bitter
24. Confidence is Sexy; Independence is even sexier
25. Maybe you’re just not that into HIM
26. Having a date doesn’t Vali-Date you
27. Being a size 0 won’t make him like you and if it does… he’s a dick!
28. A woman will have multiple great loves in her life and each one should make her a better woman
29. No man is perfect and neither are you! Get over yourself!
30. “A girl can wait for the right man to come along but in the meantime that still doesn’t mean she can’t have a wonderful time with all the wrong ones.”~ Cher
31. Paying for dinner and opening doors aren’t reserved for men, they’re reserved for people with manners
32. Don’t make your single girlfriends out to be catty, jealous haters
33. Relationships are hard work; know this and fall in love anyway
34. Speaking your mind won’t scare off the right guy, it will make him fall more
35. If you treat a first date like an interview, it will feel like one
36. You can only control one thing in a relationship: yourself
37. Be who you really are via @loveandtrash
38. Having a career, hobbies and a life are all prerequisites
39. There’s so much excitement in getting to know someone… take your time
40. A smile is the best introduction
41. Live and learn and be thankful you didn’t get Luvs
42. Men who write dating books for women have a special place in hell— Steve Harvey!
43. Don’t settle for less than butterflies— but you already knew that!
44. If he doesn’t support your shoe habit, it’s not true love!
45. Being the best you will ultimately attract the best partner for you
46. Being picky isn’t a crime, being nitpicky is
47. Dating your self is great practice and teaches others how to love you (good one @StylisticTaste)
48. “Maybe some women aren’t meant to be tamed. Maybe they just need to run free til they find someone just as wild to run with them” - Sex and the City
49. The antidote to desperation is self-confidence.
50. At the end of the day, be honest about how you feel and walk away. If he’s the one he’ll run to catch you
What are some of your dating rules?