“Playing small don’t serve no one.” ~ Nikka Costa
Let’s face it. The reason we know so much about Kanye West is because of well… Kanye West. He’s a one man marketing bandstand and he’ll miss no opportunity to tell you how great HE is. Whether you believe his hype or not you have to admit that no one is a bigger fan of Kanye West than himself.
While the world would be a horrid place if everyone exuded Mr. West’s arrogance, why is it that when we are working hard and accomplishing things we’re the last people to toot our own horns? Particularly as women, we are taught to be modest and to downplay our talents because no one likes a Bragilicious Betty. Instead of promoting ourselves and accepting our praises, we are too worried that people will think we are big-headed or full of ourselves and quick to dismiss what we work so hard for.
Take these scenarios for example…
- You pick out the perfect dress, primping and pampering yourself for an overdue date night. When your guy sees you he’s floored and compliments you on your dress. Instead of accepting his compliment, you say “Really you like it? I wasn’t sure if it looked good.”
- You get a huge promotion at work, because you are a Professional ROCKSTAR and instead of going out for celebratory drinks, you chug away at work because you still feel the need to prove that you are worthy of the promotion.
- You get an A+++ on your meta-physics paper and recognition from the Smarty-Farty Society of Geniuses. You downplay the accomplishment by saying “Oh it was really nothing.”
Instead of downplaying our greatness, let’s acknowledge it, celebrate it and inspire others to be great! Part of the reason we “allow” Kanye’s arrogance is because he has the goods to back it up. He’s a mega-producer, Grammy winning rapper and fashion impresario.
And guess what…. You are equally great!
Here are 10 Ways to Channel Kanye (in the most gracious way, of course) and be your own biggest fan!
1. When someone compliments you, simply say Thank You! No rebuttal, No dismissing
2. Tell them how hard you worked on said project and how pleased you are that everyone loves it!
3. Cut Self-doubt off at the knees! Submit your story/poetry/art work to a competition you’d love to win
4. Schedule a meeting with your boss, outline all the hustling you’re doing and then ask him/her to SHOW YOU THE MONEY! You’re worth it!
5. Count your wins and your losses; being self-confident also means being self-aware (AND REAL)
6. Pay it forward. Share one of your special skills/talents with others by helping a friend
7. Dress as flamboyantly as you please! Wear what you love no matter the status quo
8. Create a DAILY PEP TALK like Jessica!!! You have to believe your own hype!
9. Surround yourself with other amazing people who inspire you to be better
10. Hold out for the Big Payoff! Maybe your life isn’t where you want it to be, but true Biggest Fans are loyal to the home team!
Being modest and humble has its place but when you are performing sheer feats of STELLARNESS, who will shout your praises from the mountain-tops if you won’t even utter a peep?
How are you channeling your Inner Kanye? Let’s Brag!
Leave a comment telling everyone what makes you great!