In high school, my favorite author was Terry McMillan. Waiting to Exhale was one of my favorite books, I devoured Mama and Disappearing Acts and to this day Disappearing Acts is still one of my favorite screen adaptations. If you were a black girl in the 90s, Terry McMillan was your girl.
So imagine my delight when my writing inspiration came to life on social media. If you follow Ms. Terry, you know she is a no-nonsense, tell it like it is tweeter. She’s full of real life gems and straight from the horse’s mouth advice. There’s nothing woo-woo about her.
Inspiring, motivational and sometimes a smack in the head, I would retweet all of her tweets, if that weren’t consider swagger-jacking. Instead I’ll recount here 25 of my favorite tweets from Ms. McMillan.
25. When you feel overwhelmed or overworked, take a nap
24. Bitterness weighs a ton. Forgiveness makes you feel weightless
23. If loving someone exhausts you, you’re loving the wrong person
22. Be leary of people who take credit for things they didn’t do
21. Sometimes, you don’t know who you live next to. And sometimes, who you’re even married to
20. Reading can make you smarter, more compassionate, and worldly
19. Have a thoroughly thoughtful and thankful Thursday everybody. Thrill or be thrilled
18. Whatever you do this week, I hope it’s positive. And, that you see progress. Smooches to all!
17. Nothing like a long hot shower with lots of suds. Wash your hair. Deep condition. Brush teeth. Lotion. Smell good. Chill. Dance. Read. Pray.
16. Live to your own beat.
15. It’s healthy to slow down long enough to see what you’re really doing. So you have time to change lanes or make a U-Turn.
14. Try to be encouraging. And you, too, will be encouraged.
13. We are all stronger than we think we are. Look back on difficult times. You made it through to now.
12. More often than not, some things you just need to let go. Or be drained by it.
11. People who do wrong, know they’re doing wrong. Which is a sign that something is wrong. With them
10. If you think something is impossible. Then it’s impossible
9. Have a sip of something that soothes you. Then chase it with the same thing
8. Some people tell the same lie over and over and over until dumb people believe it. Smart people only need to hear it once to see through it
7. I do not apologize for how I feel or what I think. Especially on Twitter
6. I’m not just interested in when your new CD is dropping or where you’re going to be appearing next. If you’ve got power, use it for others.
5. Sometimes, you need to snap your fingers to your own beat and not worry about what other folks think.
4. Some people give bad advice. Know who not to take it from. One way to tell: look at their life.
3. If every time you drink, you get drunk: you’ve got a drinking problem.
2. I don’t like the idea that other people can change you. I subscribe to the idea that when you change yourself, that’s called growth.
1. Some things are worth remembering. Some things are worth forgetting. One lightens your spirit and the other weighs a ton. Your call.
Such jewels and flat out advice. If you’re not following @MsTerryMcMillan, do so right now and get ya some of Terry’s thoughtful tweets.
Do you follow Terry on twitter? Who’s your favorite follow?