Sometimes you get in a funk. Life seems bland. Rent is due, so you can’t shop. Busy at work, so you can’t hang out. You need some revitalization and an extra boost of Vitamin C ~ Creativity that is!
Whether you take an art class, take a long walk, you have to get those creative juices flowing! Think of a few things you love to do, you can do it! Still need an extra boost, here are a few ways to do just that!
1. Grocery Circular Shopping — Try new meal ideas based on what you can get on sale or on promotion at your local grocer. Green bean casserole might be a good idea when solid white albacore is .50c a can!
2. Design a Personal Logo — A quick and easy logo can be useful in so many ways! Who says your signature has to be a script version of your name anyway?
3. The Broach Approach — Add pizzazz to ANY outfit with a simple embellishment on your lapel, shirt pocket or collar. A small glint of razzle-dazzle is always appreciated!
4. Create a Vision — Board that is! Vision boards are a great way of keeping goals and even that expensive pair of shoes on your mind daily. As a “law of attraction” devotee, visualizing what you want everyday always leads to results.
5. Spring Cleaning Twist — Before you throw out that white shirt with the stained pits or your once favorite black pumps, think of all the possibilities! Make that shirt an “under a cardigan only” shirt; add a pair of clip-on earrings to the front of those shoes!
6. Water Retreat –Take a hot bath (or shower), it will stimulate your body and senses in so many ways, you might get sudden inspiration to write a book!
7. Nail Fun — Regular manicures are essential, but when your polish starts to chip, you need to erase and re-do between appointments. Use this go ‘round to try a quick design technique like polka dots or lines.
8. Baked Goods — Every now and then it’s ok to indulge in cakes and cookies. What better way than to make them yourself! Don’t just settle for circles, pull out those cookie cutters or just use a knife to cut out a fun shape. Take them to work and leave in your break-room if you think you will have cookie monster syndrome.
9. Just Lamping — Overhead lighting can be so harsh sometimes, but adding a lamp to your bathroom, living room or work-space can be so uplifting and change your mood instantly!
10. Star Gazing — It’s nice to look up at the sky at night, but that won’t help you in an outfit crisis. Do a quick internet search of your favorite celebrities for style inspiration. They’re your favorites for a reason!
11. Language Learning — Maybe you don’t have time to study a new language but you always have time to learn something new. Look up ways to say everyday terms in other languages. Of course it’s mostly for fun, but who knows? It could start you out on the path to linguist studies after all.
12. Jewelry Meltdown — If you’ve got gold and silver earrings with no mate, rings you don’t wear and gifted bracelets that were never your style, take them to a jeweler and have them melted down into a piece (or pieces) that you’ll love!
13. Make-up Party — Even if you’re the only one in attendance, playing in your own make-up is just as fun as it is challenging…a good challenge, that is. See what you can do on your own. You’ll be surprised at what your lil hands can do.
14. Turn on the Tube — Many television networks feature D.I.Y programs and segments. Check your listings and tune in! Oftentimes, the Susie Homemakers and Martha Stewarts’ of the world submit their projects that are easy to do over and over again.
15. Smell That — from incense, to candles, to fine oils, humanity has found a way to survive on things that smell good! Ok, maybe not, but just thinking of your favorite scent makes you feel good. And when you feel good, you have the power to create!
16. Snack your Way — If your snack drawer looks like mine, you’re stocked in case of major disaster. In the meantime, collabo that apple with that rice cake and that peanut butter for a snack that’s sure to get you through the rest of your work day.
17. Play On! — Create genre specific or rhythm specific playlists to complete daily tasks. Listening to Mozart may not do it while you attempt to run 3 miles today, but it might help complete that report at work that’s due by noon.
18. The Pin-Up Look — If you’ve got hair that can twist around your finger, you can pin curl it – a quick technique to attain flirty locks. A quick internet search will pull up video results for all kinds of hair, sure to guide you if needed.
19. Finishing Touches — Rule of thumb: a blazer dresses anything up; a scarf, dresses anything down. Try it the next time you’re transitioning from one place or event to another.
20. Craft Store Delight — When all else fails, your local craft store will make a believer out of you. From soap and candles to jewelry, t-shirts and wreaths, the goodies in these stores force you to think creatively. You pretty much start from scratch with everything, but if that scares you, check with the store for classes and see for yourself how easy and fun original creations can be!
Celeste Price is a writer, nail design enthusiast and lover of fine dining, shopping, traveling and being a mom to the bossiest little princess in the world! Follow her on Twitter @Celesteness and say hi!
I hope this brief list got your motor going and stirred the pot of creativity that is brewing inside of you! Anything we missed on this list? How do you boost your creativity?