Like au courant fashion lovers, I have a serious relationship with vintage clothing; a relationship that began before I was born and has stayed with me to this day. I didn’t initially wear vintage because it was hipster thing to do or; for me it was sheer necessity and force. My mother made us wear vintage clothing because with 5 children to clothe, thrift stores and consignment shops were the natural solution.
At first I rebelled, being a typical child wanting to blend in with my peers; no one was wearing polyester blend pants in the 3rd grade. But my mother soon allowed us to come on thrift store jaunts and Saturday flea market trips with her. Not only was this bonding time but I became transfixed with the power of vintage. Here are my reasons why I love vintage clothing.
1. It never goes out of style: Fashion is constantly repeating itself, so why waste money on new reproductions of old styles when you can wear the old styles themselves
2. It is one-of-a-kind: While this is not completely true, you’ll still be hard pressed to find someone wearing the exact same piece, albeit, in the same way.
3. It can be inexpensive: I’m no Daddy Warbucks and while I’m waiting on my lottery winnings, I’ll spend my coins on the inexpensive vintage that I love. There is higher-end vintage and when my winnings come I’ll buy those pieces as well
4. It has a unique smell: So I know I’m probably alone on this but I love the way Goodwill and Salvation Army stores smell. It’s intoxicating and gets me amped to go through racks after racks of clothes
5. It’s environmentally friendly: I’m not the biggest eco-champion, but I try to do my part. And wearing vintage recycles clothing and stops wasteful spending
6. It reminds me of my Mom: My mom introduced me to fashion and vintage clothing and while our styles differ greatly, flea markets always remind me of our Saturday trips when I was younger
7. It’s like jumping in a Time Machine: Let’s do the time warp again! Playing dress up with vintage clothing is like stepping back in time and being someone else for a day
8. It’s the Thrill of the Hunt: Finding a gem out of a hundreds of pieces is like a modern day treasure hunt and makes it much more treasured
9. It’s a great Business Model: There are thousands of vintage business stores because there are millions of vintage pieces floating around the world and Read #1 and #2
10. There’s so much Variety: Vintage encompasses so many eras and time periods that there is a style for all types of vintage lovers; 40’s retro, 80’s hipster, 20’s flapper and the list goes on
How did your love affair with vintage begin? What are you reasons for loving vintage?